Friday 29 March 2019

Spirit

 I wrote this one a while ago now as an exercise at Read To Write when we were looking at the poetry of Thomas Hardy. It's based on a real incident that happened a few days after my dad died in 2005.



Spirit

1

I knew at once that he was there
"Hello Dad", I said, even though
 in the mirror I could see behind
nothing at all but light and air

2

I felt a soothing in my soul
Tortured by such knotting pain
in lonely hours, the darkest days
when there was no-one could console

3

A shaft of light broke through the grey
As his presence drifted off
"It'll be OK Dad", I said at last
 Though I wished so much for it to stay


Tim Fellows 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...