Friday 8 March 2019

Mrs Frankenstein

Written as an exercise based on the idea behind "The World's Wife" by Carol Ann Duffy. I haven't published a villanelle in a while but this just cried out for it. 

Mrs Frankenstein was actually not Mrs Frankenstein for long - Elizabeth Lavenza was killed by the monster on her wedding night as Victor was out searching for it.



Mrs Frankenstein

Another late night at the lab he said
His hair is wild, he cannot fall asleep
in thrall to his obsession with the dead

What's his secret? A girl he takes to bed?
I can't bear it - he makes me feel so cheap
Another late night at the lab he said

One day he said "Beware the path you tread
or one day you might be the crop I reap"
in thrall to his obsession with the dead

He brings home hands, an arm, a leg, a head!
He hides them but I couldn't help but peep
Another late night at the lab he said

And now he's vanished; left the girl he wed
This lonely night I lie in bed and weep 
in thrall to his obsession with the dead

I feel an ancient, chilling, crawling dread
As Victor up the stairs begins to creep
Another late night at the lab he said
in thrall to his obsession with the dead

Tim Fellows 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...