Friday 5 April 2019

It Comes To Us All

Getting old - it sucks.


It Comes To Us All

Today I got a present
Something I could wear
It felt quite soft and comfy
I opened it with care

But when my eyes fell on it
It just revealed my age
It was a v-neck jumper
the colour - it was beige

So perhaps I need some slippers
and a hat for when it's cold
Or those other things you acquire
When you're getting very old

But you don't know where you put them
can't find your reading specs
and other things you've forgotten 
like the last time you had sex

And your pate has long since baldened
and the remaining hair is grey
and you stare at your fat belly
with sadness and dismay

You have boobs just like your mrs
and you groan when you stand up
and for no good reason you prefer
to use the same old coffee cup

There was some consolation
for the turning of the years
One small crumb of comfort
to keep me in good cheer

That although age is something
that comes to every man
At least I saw it wasn't
a chuffing cardigan

Tim Fellows 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...