Thursday 22 April 2021

Strange

 
Written for Paul Brookes' ekphrastic challenge - one poem a day in April 2021. 
 
The art work for this day is by Jane Cornwell. 
 

 

 
Strange
 
It's strange
 
to know that you're not there
at the end of the line
with comforting words
and questions about the children.

I wish that I were eight again,
looking round and thinking
you had gone, then a wave
of relief as you re-appeared. 
 
There's no magic number
of seconds that can tick over,
after which it won't matter any more. 
No soothing words of comfort
 
when you don't believe in afterlife.
It makes you envy those who do.
 
Now that is strange. 
 
Tim Fellows 2021
 

3 comments:

  1. I really like this one Tim. A distilled essence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tigger, I too like this poem. Perhaps instead of "like" I should say "appreciate". I find this a slightly uncomfortable read, since death is an uncomfortable subject for one who tries to avoid thinking about it too deeply.

    Thanks for this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I found it uncomfortable to write.

      Delete

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...