Monday 8 June 2020

Fellows Park

This recalls my one and only visit to the old home of Walsall FC on 11th March 1978 to watch the 2-2 draw with Chesterfield. The stadium was demolished in May 1990.

My great great-grandmother Mary Elizabeth Fellows came from the Black Country to Stonebroom, Derbyshire, in 1878 when she was 8 years old. She married Joseph Smith when pregnant with her son, William Edward Fellows-Smith (who became Fellows). Joseph and William died within a month of each other in 1931. Mary died in 1933.



Fellows Park

I once went to a place and time
that drifts only in memories;
in dreams of Black Country
Saturday crowds
and floodlit nights.

Named like me, it was old
when I was young. Where our name
was familiar, when pubs filled
with smoke and hate ran
in silent currents.

I had come from there, before
the concrete was laid, before the
ragged stands were built.
But now my accent jarred,
all around was red and I was blue.

Connections were lost in
a century of exile and change.
The bulldozers moved in, smashed
the glass panes, brought down
everything they had built.

Tim Fellows May 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...