Friday 5 June 2020

Blood




Blood

Does blood bother you?
asked the nurse, exposing
the needle.
No I said and felt the tightening
of the tourniquet.

Yes, blood bothers me.
Blood spilled in darkness
by boy-men with spiteful blades,
washed away by a mother's tears.

Yes, blood bothers me.
Running crimson in dusty streets
and dirty scream-filled hospitals
as bombs rain down.

Yes, blood bothers me.
When blood and purity are mixed
to sanitise, cleanse, bleach,
and whitewash hate.

I stayed silent and I lied.
And yes, we both know
that I looked away.

Tim Fellows 2019

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...