Friday 27 September 2019

Verde

This poem was drafted at a Poetry Business workshop and is based on a real incident on the green dry river bed between Cabo Roig and Cala Capitan beach.


Verde

The verde is refreshed today
drenched by last night's thunderclouds.
The earth has quenched its thirst
dry enough for sandaled feet
to raise dust from a path
scattered with slivers of shattered glass.

I look to a sky
that redefines the colour blue,
carrying a small plane
whose engine harmonises
with the relentless insects
hiding in the trees.


As I look down a gecko stops,
stock still. I stop too
and we both wait for the other to blink.
I look away and glimpse the sea.
When I look back, he is gone. 


Tim Fellows 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...