Friday 6 September 2019

Bunfungle

I wrote this for a children's poetry competition. It didn't get very far but another one I already had that I just threw in as an extra entry got on the long list. Just shows that you are not the best judge of what judges think of your work!



Bunfungle


My best friend's called Bunfungle
he lives beneath my bed.
He's got quite a tiny body
but a big and furry head.


He wakes me in the morning
by tickling my right ear.
He sings a happy morning song
'til my yawns all disappear.


He likes to share my breakfast,
he eats some of my toast.
Marmalade's the topping
that he enjoys the most.


He's in the pocket of my coat
when mum takes me to school
and hides inside the locker
at the swimming pool.


'Cos no-one sees Bunfungle,
he'd scare and he'd surprise!
Frighten them with his giant teeth
and his googly yellow eyes.


Bunfungle's better than a dog
he's more fun than a cat.
I like it when he dances
and wears a funny hat.


Bunfungle always keeps me safe
when I go to bed at night.
He scares off all the monsters
and tucks me in all tight.


I know one day Bunfungle
will have to go away,
when I get big like Daddy
he won't come out to play.


He'll still be in my pocket
he'll follow everywhere
I won't see him anymore
but I'll always know he's there.


Tim Fellows 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...