Friday 16 November 2018

White Feather

This one was written at the first of Ian Parks' Peace Workshops in Doncaster earlier this year. It was read out at The Cast in Doncaster as part of Doncaster Choral Society's "Lest We Forget" concert.

White feathers were handed out by women during World War One to any young man who was walking the streets not in uniform, to shame and humiliate them into joining up. They were also posted to known conscientious objectors.



White Feather

Why did you feel the need to share
those perfect pure white feathers?
Plucked bitter from the wings of birds
whose peace was cruelly shattered.


Your face is torn and twisted
as you caw your words of hatred
for those who see no reason
to kill a fellow human.

I take your gift, soft smiling,
I am proud of my heart's calling.
However you despise me
I'll stand my ground with honour.

No blood will stain that feather
This bird will sing forever

Tim Fellows 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...