Friday 9 November 2018

4.30 am, France, Summer 1918

"Stand to, me bonny lads,
Stand to and make you ready.
Stand to, me bonny lads,
Hold the line right steady.
Let bright bands rule the flame;
This day shall bear your name.
Stand to, me bonny lads,
Hold the line right steady." - John Tams


4.30 am, France, Summer 1918

I wait for the explosions
that come when dawn is breaking,
when darkness fades like phantoms
of my mutilated comrades.

Death is my companion
and fear is our lieutenant
who stalks the stinking trenches
barking his commandments.

The rats are getting ready
for they will feast by sunset.
The guns will be their waiters
who serve a varied menu
from many different nations.

I think about my mother
as the shells are dropping.
My love of King and Country
crumbles like the breadcrumbs
that she used to put in puddings.

I recall she always told me
that nothing should be wasted
I recall
she told me
nothing.....

Tim Fellows November 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...