Friday 19 October 2018

What Do I Think Of?

This is the second poem I wrote in memory of mum. I read it at her committal  and my son Luke read it at her memorial service.




What Do I Think Of?

What do I think of,
when I think of you?
A tidy house,
sparkling clean.

Washing blowing on the line.

Carefully tended plants,
neat gardens,
nature's friend.
Working hard
at home and in the shop -
bringing back treats in your bag
after five o'clock.

Then making tea,
ready for us to eat -
deep fried home made chips,
boiling stews, steaming puddings,
comforting.
In good times and bad,
the person we all relied on
for sound advice -
reassuring,
consoling,
encouraging.

The faithful friend,
constant in your Faith,
practicing what they preached.

But most of all,
today and every day,
when I think of you,
I think of Love.

Tim Fellows October 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...