Friday 16 March 2018

Across The Platform

Stephen Fry suggested a poetry exercise where you take a classic poem structure and use it to structure a poem of your own (I'm sure other people have suggested this too). So I found one and wrote this, which is based on actual events on Doncaster Station when I was waiting on a train bound for Leeds in October 2017. I knew I should have written down the original, but now I can't find it. I think it was either Keats or Wordsworth, and I've gone for a Romantics feel to the poem.

Across The Platform

She stands so tranquil yet it seems
a low conceit disturbs her dreams;
A vision locked in time's swift stream
and so she waits.
Around her stillness masses teem
in surging spate.

Her elegance, her careful pose
In her fair cheeks a hint of rose
So many pass but no-one knows
for whom she waits;
Yet in her eyes the sadness shows
her inner trait.

Across the platform her sad eyes
invite the questions - what or why?
What secret does her peace deny?
Why does she wait?
What form of wicked destiny
would God create?

We drew apart; just one last glance
but I remained without the chance
to find out if some sad romance
had sealed her fate
and could not break her mournful trance.
So still she waits.

Tim Fellows 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...