Sunday 25 April 2021

April Shower


Written for Paul Brookes' ekphrastic challenge - one poem a day in April 2021. 
 
The art works for this day are by Jane Cornwell and "April Showers" by Kerfe Roig 
 


 

 
April Shower
 
I hear the breeze rise through the woods
where, in other years, you would have walked. 

I listen for the haunting notes that followed you
but nothing drifts across the April air. I wonder

if you still play, your lips on that thin reed;
your breath, enclosed in maple, ready to vibrate

and pull me, an entranced snake,
through the house into the white-walled room;

your eyes closed, fingers moving on their own
and me, alone with just an empty chair.
 
A sudden squall has brought the April rain
and drives me to the cover of the trees
 
I watch it splash in puddles, see it drip 
from spring's new leaves, washing you away. 
 
Tim Fellows 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...