Sunday 7 February 2021

The Churchyard

Published on the allpoetry website in January 2021 and promoted as a featured poem. Originally inspired by the Black Bough Poetry Winter 2021/22 submission for short poems but it didn't really fit the remit.

 


The Churchyard
 
The gate creaks slightly, and I tread gently
by the sad stones, the tiny beds of lost children
who in twists of destiny would lie further on.
To where my icy footprints now take me. 
Past the low wall, memorials large and small.

The flowers I place will die too, dessicate
as the cold sun picks out gilded letters,
illuminates stark dates. I leave, passing tilting stones,
weathered names fading as I observe
the marks my feet made before are melting away. 

Tim Fellows 2021
 

Photo (c) Bill Henderson 2004 shared under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...