Friday 17 July 2020

Blackbird

Two poems inspired by Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience. And by a pair of blackbirds that have been constant companions in the garden during the COVID-19 lockdown.




Blackbird (Innocence)

Oh, little friend, as dark as night
that brings the sunlight to my day.
Do you see me as I see you?
A beacon in a sky of grey.

Your mark your path with hops and skips
and sing with joy at dawn's slow rise;
your feet are bathed in glist'ning dew,
bright circles frame your pitch black eyes.

Your constant presence stretches time
as though God sent you as my guide;
where is the fear, when you are here?
there is but calm and peace inside.

Blackbird (Experience)

He's here again, as dark as night,
perched, sentry-like, upon my fence.
I see him, bringing clouds of rain
and opiates to dull my sense.

He now takes flight, an angel black,
and lands on grass that withers brown.
He pulls a worm, rips it apart,
opens his throat and gulps it down.

In empty circled eyes I see
no pity for a creature's life.
Yet creeps behind the sly striped cat
with claws as sharp as any knife.

Tim Fellows July 2020


Image by Uschi Dugulin from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...