Friday 27 April 2018

June Fellows 1938-2018

My mum passed away last Sunday, 13 years to the day after my dad.



I can't think of a more fitting tribute on this blog than to post two poems by my dad written for, and to, her.

I Wish I'd Been The One To Say


I Wish I'd Been The One To Say
"Could I but compare thee to a summer's day"
Or, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
Or "Blazing fire and Christmas treat"
Or, "The curlew tolls the knell of parting day"
But I'm not a Shakespeare or a Shelley or Gray
I cannot write in phrases fine
Or put in words these thoughts of mine
That tell from deep within my heart a feeling true
That says "My dear I do love you"
So I, with these few faltering sentences will say
May every blessing God can give be yours my dear today.

J.E.Fellows 1979

To June - The Year of 1976

Winter

             Out in the cold
             Helping the old
             Keeping the home in order
             Up late at night
             Making things right
             For your husband, your son and your daughter

Spring

             Still you went out
             Going about
             Spreading your love all around
             We, in your care
             Found love so rare
             A better friend could not be found

Summer

             Someone in need?
             You went with speed
             Serving and caring for others
             Forgoing rest
             Giving your best
             To mums, dads, sisters and brothers

Autumn

             Living your life
             Mother and wife
             When illness your family struck
             Still you did smile
             Throughout your trial
             Showing your courage and pluck

Christmas

             The year has passed
             All's well at last
             Christmas has come round again
             May it bring peace
             Joys that won't cease
             And health to banish all pain

             What can we do
             To show to you
             Our love for all you have done
             Not to exclude
             The gratitude
             Of daughter, husband and son

             We give of our gifts
             Hoping they lift
             The clouds of midwinter gloom
             May they be too
             Special to you
             In your life may they find room

The future

             Things may look black
             As you look back
             The future? It's not ours to know
             But it will be bright
             It'll work out alright
             Trusting in God as you go

             And in his Son
             God's Gift to man
             At Christmas a long time ago
             Gifts from our heart
             Are but a part
             Of His love, to us, here below

This poem was enclosed in June's Christmas presents from Jill, Tim and myself with our love.

J.E.Fellows December 25th 1976


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...