Wednesday 6 September 2017

Killing Machine

My poem, followed by one written by my dad 40 years ago


Killing Machine

The pavement is wet -
puddles lie in its uneven surface.
Head bent against the
northerly wind
I catch the reflection of a
streetlamp in one of them.

Its not too bad a thing
to be your last image -
although a nice sunset or
apple blossom on a spring tree
would be better.

I didn't see it, behind me
on the pavement,
traction lost on slick
road by worn rubber -
a moment's misfortune.

It is a strange thing,
I thought at the end,
to end up as another
statistic; one more victim
of the killing machine.

(c) Tim Fellows 2017

Motorway waterway























JE Fellows



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Colours of Her Skirt

Based on a memory, which may be unreliable, from some time in the 1960s.  With thanks to Sarah Wimbush and Ian Parks for editing and for the...